European Studies Major
Through the study of literature, film, history and politics, students will develop an in-depth, interdisciplinary knowledge of contemporary European culture. In addition to cultural studies courses, students are required to complete several in one of the following modern languages: French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, or Spanish. All majors are required to complete a minimum of 6 units in an approved study abroad program in a European country. If study abroad would create a barrier preventing you from completing this BA degree, please contact the Program Adviser to discuss possible alternatives.
Outcome 1. Analyze and interpret specific cultural issues (ethnic, religious, social and gender diversity) in two or more European countries within their historical, socio-economic, political and/or geographical context.
Outcome 2. Examine the role of the regional, national, and supranational institutions in Europe.
Outcome 3. Situate issues of relevance to Europe in a transcultural perspective
Outcome 4. Research, synthesize, organize, and present results in oral and written form.
Preparation for the Major (25-32 units)
To earn the B.A with a major in European Studies students will have to take:
- European Studies (9 units) European Studies 101 and six units selected from History
105, 106, German 150, Russian 110 or Russian 250
- Foreign Language and Culture (Select 1: 16-23 units)
- French 100A, 100B, 201, 210 220, 221 (20 units)
- German 100A, 100B, 202, 205A, 205B (21 unit)
- Italian 100A, 100B, 201, 211, 212. (21 units)
- Portuguese 101, 102, 203, 204. (16 units)
- Russian 100A, 100B, 110, 200A, 200B (23 units)
- Spanish 101, 102, 201, 202, 211, 212, (22 units)
Requirements for the Major (36 units)
European Studies (12 units)
European Studies 301, 501 and six units selected from any 400- or 500- level European Studies courses.
National Language and Culture Emphasis (12 units)
- French 302, 421, 422 and one additional three unit course
- German 301, 400, 430 and one additional three unit course
- Italian 301, 422, 424 and one additional three unit course
- Portuguese 311 and three additional three unit courses
- Russian 301, 311, 430 and one additional three unit course
- Spanish 301, 340, 405B and Spanish 302 or 381
European Studies Electives (6 units)
Select six units from the following:
European Studies 501; Art 558-559; Comparative Literature 514, Dance 382; Geography 336, History 408, 440, 512A, 512B, Humanities 408; Philosophy 506, 508; Political Science 302, 356; Russian 310, 435; Theater 460A or 460B; Women’s Studies 340.
National Culture Electives (6 units)
Courses must be selected from an area other than courses selected for National Language and Culture and Culture Emphasis.
Select 6 units from the following:
English 544; French 424, German 320; History 418, 527; Humanities 310, 320, 330; Italian 422; Political Science 359; Russian 305A, 305B.
Russian and Central European Studies Major
Please visit the Russian Studies page to learn more about this major.